July 8-18 / July 22-Aug 1 / Aug 5-15 / Ages 8-17
Learn to play guitar in only two weeks!
So you are ready to be a rock star…but you are a complete beginner? No Problem! Learn the basics of guitar in a small group with lots of positive coaching, surrounded by music and musicians. Guitar Boot Camp is more than a guitar class-it is an immersive musical experience and the most exciting way to get started on guitar.
- Three age groups: 8-11, 12-14, 15-17
- Our expert instructors will guide you step-by-step.
- Learn the basics of chords, strumming, and reading tablature in the context of carefully selected riffs and songs that make learning FUN. Our interactive resources allow beginners to actually play along with songs from Day 1! Don’t just learn “Seven Nation Army”. Play along with the actual song (slowed down as needed).
- Record your performance song in a live recording session. Take home a digital copy of your track!
- One hour interactive bass and drum workshop. Learn about the other instruments in a band: the very basics, and their role in a band setting.
- Perform with your group on-stage a live music venue in NYC! Family and friends are welcome! We’ll videotape your show and post it on YouTube, too, so that you can share it with your fans.
- Includes all materials AND guitars are provided. Bring nothing but your desire to rock.
- Get an AWESOME NYC Guitar School T-shirt!
- Rehearsal pictures and videos posted on Instagram and Facebook throughout camp so you can see your camper in action.
- Experience working in full equipped professional rehearsal studios (where working NYC musicians rehearse)! We rent out the entire floor of Funkadelic Studios (209 West 40th St) and have several rehearsal rooms in the iconic Music Building (584 8th Ave).
- The Music Building is a part of NYC’s rock ‘n’ history. Artists such as Madonna, Blondie, Billy Idol, Metallica, Living Color, Cyndi Lauper, Interpol, The Strokes, Patti Smith, Joey Ramone, The New York Dolls, Lou Reed ( and more !!) have rehearsed in the building. Madonna’s signature is even on the wall of the 12th Floor!
- You WILL be able to play songs and riffs at the end of the two week period!
Day 1 Meet your band! Get started on guitar!
Day 2-3 Guitar Skill Building, Listening, Pick your performance song and start practicing. One hour hands-on drum and bass workshop!
Day 4 Band Visit Day. Check out the other bands for inspiration! Visit The Music Building (if rehearsing at Funkadelic).
Day 5 Regular rehearsals. Plus Live Recording Session-play your performance song in the studio
Day 6 Final prep and practice for the show.
Day 7 All Camp Dress Rehearsal.
Day 8 Perform live on-stage in NYC! Lights, professional sound, videos, and stage photos to capture your rockstar moment.
- KIDS 8-11: 10am-2pm
- TEENS 12-14 10am-3pm
- TEENS 15-17 noon-5pm
- For all ages, an extended day option is available from 10am-5pm.
- Private lessons may be added before or after camp.
- Showtimes: Kids 8-11 3:00pm on final day, Teens 12-14 4:00pm, and Teens 15-17 6:00pm.
- Tuition is $770. Sign up with a sibling or friend for an additional $30 discount.
Skill Requirements for Boot Camp: Nada. Zilch. No background at all! No matter how much of a total and absolute beginner you are, you will know the basics of guitar playing at the end of this two week program!
- Campers age 15-17 are allowed off campus without supervision for lunch.
- Campers age 12-14 are allowed off campus without supervision ONLY with parental permission.
- Campers age 8-11 are always supervised and must bring a packed lunch.
- Kids 8-11 and 12-14 rehearse at Funkadelic Studios.
- Teens 15-17 rehearse at The Music Building and/or Funkadelic Studios.
- Sign up with a friend and get $30 off!
- CREATE YOUR OWN CAMP: Put together a group of four or more campers and we’ll create a custom camp on the dates that work best for you!